Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Challenge and the week in review


This week, Victoria over at 15 minutes play set us a new challenge.  Create a new 8 inch piece of fabric.  Then do something to it to make it into a 12 inch block.  The challenge is to do something I don't usually do.  For the 8 inch square, I used strata and curved pieces.  I rarely do either of these things.  Now, I have to let the fabric tell me what else to do to take it to 12 inches.  That will have to wait until Monday.  I won't be able to get back into the studio much until then.

This week has been very productive. I have linked up to Confessions of a Fabric Addict for the Whoop Whoop Friday to share what I have done. She is having a give-away this week. Check out the other linked blogs to see what everyone is doing.
I finished the intuition quilt top.  I have been auditioning fabric for the back and think I have found enough of two that I really like.  I will work on that next week.

I also put the finishing touches on the design for the Coming Home quilt.  I really enjoy designing sampler type quilts.  I am thinking about publishing some of my patterns and selling them.  First, of course, I have to make all of them and figure out how to calculate yardage.  Coming Home will be my first one.  It is still not bed size, but with borders, it could become a nice quilt for my bed.

I completed three elements of Coming Home and put them up on the design wall. I am really enjoying searching through my stash for just the right fabrics.  This quilt will be more subdued colorwise than my intuition quilt.  I love exploring different color combinations.  Yesterday, I was at the local pharmacy, browsing the eye make-up section.  There are such fun color combinations in those little eye shadow compacts.  I was thinking that I should try and make small quilts using these combinations.  Or, I could just use some of them in the different Coming Home elements.  If you look, there are great color ideas everywhere.

One other really fun thing I started was this medallion style quilt.  It started out as a 15 minute play block.  I have selected the fabric for the next border.  Maybe I will get it sewn on this morning.  So far, I really like this piece. 

Next week, new studio adventures await.  I am excited to see where the path and the fabric will take me.  Joyful creating, everyone.

1 comment:

Jann Gougeon said...

Love the eye shadow inspiration. Indeed . . there ARE ideas everywhere!