Do you ever doodle little quilt designs? It is something I do sometimes when I am waiting. I don't do a lot of waiting, so my doodles are small, about 1" x 2" usually. When I get one I think has possibilities, I will work on it more when I am home. This week, I came up with several I liked, so I decided to try and make one into a mini, either for a small quilt medallion, or for AAQI. Not sure yet.
As I was developing the drawing, I wanted to create a sense of depth. I have always been intrigued by ribbons, and the idea of ribbons escaping from a box is something I have wanted to do for a while. I also knew I wanted to try the flange idea again, to see if I could get it the way I wanted it this time. I did, by the way.
Once I had the drawing done, I had to figure out how to make it with fabric. Next time, I will take photos along the way, but for this one, I just enjoyed the process.
Steps I took
1. I drew the design full size on freezer paper.
2. I traced the different shapes on another piece of freezer paper. Somewhat redundant, I guess.
3. Selected fabrics. I decided on a soft spring like palette for this one. I think I will make another one with brighter solids.
4. Put fusible backing on the pieces.
5. Cut backing, flange fabric, and borders.
6. Started putting the puzzle together. Some of the ribbons come out from under the flange, and some go over it. Some go over the bottom of the loop, and some under the top part. It was very important to do things in the correct order to maintain the design. That was the fun part.
7. Add the outside border.
8. Iron all the pieces down, making sure everything is fused properly.
9. Machine buttonhole stitch all the fused pieces.
If I decide to use this for AAQI, the next step will be to quilt it. It could also be the center for a doll quilt I need to make for a swap. I will decided tomorrow.
The one thing I am not totally pleased with is the way it doesn't look like the top orange piece is connected to the bottom yellow piece, making a loop. I will fix that in the next one.
I also did a little studio pick up and made a couple of star crossed blocks for a bee. All in all, it was a fun day in the studio. I needed that time just to play.
Until tomorrow, joyful quilting everyone.