Friday, April 1, 2011

Flying Geese Tutorial

I have been making flying geese for a while now.  I have tried several different ways:  flip and fold, paper piecing, and templates.  This is the way I have found the fastest and best way for me. The best part is I get four great geese, and no little triangles.  No waste.  With the price of fabric, that is great for me. I wanted to try my hand at a tutorial, and decided this would be a good place to start.

First, I cut my squares.  When you are making geese this way, you add 1 1/4" to the desired finished width, and make a square instead of a rectangle.  The small squares (the sky or wings) are cut 7/8" larger than the desired height.  For a finished 6" x 3" goose, I cut my 1 large square 7 1/4" and the 4 small squares 3 7/8".  I have also used this method for 2" by 4" geese with much success, cutting the squares 5 1/4" and 2 7/8".





 I always draw lines when I am doing diagonal sewing.  I use a #2 mechanical pencil because it gives me a finer line.  I use a light touch so I don't stretch the fabric, and a deep angle to get as close to the ruler as possible.  Draw a diagonal from corner to corner on each small square, then parallel lines 1/4" to each side. 






Pin two squares in opposite corners of the larger square, right sides together.  Make sure the marks line up.  The squares will overlap.  I always pin the squares so they don't wander when I sew.  Sew on the lines on each side of the center diagonal.







 Make one cut on the center diagonal line.










After you have made the cut, you need to press the sky/wings up.  This is a very important step.  If you forget, you will have one wing that folds out nicely, and one that does not.  See the bottom unit to the left.  I call this the wolf face stage. It just reminds me of a cartoon wolf.

Place the remaining two squares, right sides facing, so the lines go from the corner to the space between the two points.  Sew along the outside lines.





Cut each unit along the center diagonal line.








Press each piece.  You will have four beautiful flying geese.






This is the block I made with these flying geese.  It is 12" x 12" finished.










I hope you found this tutorial useful.  It was interesting to make.  I may have to make more some day.  Joyful quilting, everyone.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I always have trouble with flying geese. You made it easier. Hugs

Kat said...

Great tutorial, I will definitely give this a try!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Wow, that is great. I have never seen that method. Thanks!

Wendy said...

I've heard of this method and want to try it and this is a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing!

Christine Neale said...

Super! This approach really appeals to me. :D