Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Starting a New Project


I started pulling fabric for my original quilt, Coming Home.  I think there are going to be some interesting colors in this one.  There are also several stars.  This one was very fun to build.  It was also a bit of a problem.  I wanted to have a D9P in the center.  Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to cut the squares for a D9P to get a specific size block.  I had to cut this one down to fit in the center, so some of the bars got too small.  I still like the overall look, and I love the fabric.
I am going to be working on this for a while, since there are over 30 different components.  I have decided to show you the design.  It is roughly sketched on 4 to the inch graph paper.  Each square represents two inches.

I am pretty excited about working on this piece.  The buildings all remind me of places I have lived.  I put an apple tree next to the barn because I found the coolest fabric.  There are a couple of places that I may change to something more interesting, or I may just use them to show off cool fabric.  There are three 12" stars and one 18".  I may change some of the pinwheels to friendship stars.  The beauty of creating my own design is that I can make these changes easily.  Below are some of the fabrics I have selected so far.


I also have some purple, blue, and green batiks.  This project will take a while, and I will be working on others as well. 
I was able to cross off #1 on my weeks to do list.  I braved the hail and snow to get to the post office and send all the quilty things on to their way.  Tomorrow, I am going to put  the chemo quilt on Priscilla and try and get it done.  Don't know how much else I will get done.  Joyful quilting, everyone.

2 comments:

Willa said...

Looks beautiful! I am curious about your style/anchorings - you seem to have let go of your Asian anchorings.

Bookwoman said...

Miki, the design for this is wonderful! It reminds me a bit of the buildings you created for your story paths ... so this is your story path! Love it.