Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Creating fabric and fun


Victoria, over at 15 Minutes Play, set us a new challenge.  Start with a 15 minute play block, then ask "What if I . . . .?".  I used all my play blocks in my intuition quilt, so I set myself a challenge to make one using the first six scraps I pulled from the top of my scrap bin.  I usually use more than six fabrics, so this was a bit of a challenge, but great fun.  If you are interested in creating new fabric from scraps, Victoria
has a great tutorial here.
After playing for a little while, I came up with this.


Then I cut it into four uneven pieces, and auditioned fabric for the next step.

First, I tried dark blue batik.


Then I tried this ochre batik.  I liked it best.



I liked it enough to make it the first border.  I put in the corner pieces from fabric made from my favorite dress of all time.  I just love this fabric, and plan on using more of it for this quilt.
The top photo is the way I left the piece this evening.  Tomorrow, I am looking forward to playing with this some more.  I already have ideas for the next border.  I am also working on the church block for my Coming Home quilt.  It is supposed to be snowing here again tomorrow, so I am looking forward to another creative day in the studio.  I hope you all have a wonderful joy filled day as well.


No comments: