Saturday, February 19, 2011

The one quarter inch seam and other quilting challenges

Today, I put all the blocks and sashes together for the chemo quilt I am working on.  I have some light green I will use for the first border, then some dark blue with small pink flowers for the second border.  I have some very sweet pink flannel for the back.  I think I will use the green for the binding, as well.  This is not going to be a really big quilt, but it is for a little girl, so it doesn't have to be.  It is a wonder, however, that it has come this far.
I have been sewing these blocks for a while.  That means that I sewed many seams before I solved my quarter inch seam issues.  Today, I tried to work around that issue, but it was pretty tough at times.  I ripped a few seams and used my steam iron quite a bit.  It is still a bit wonky, but the over all look is pretty nice.  I will square this up before I attach the first border.  That should resolve all remaining issues.  At least I didn't have points to match.
Now that I am quilting much of the time, I am discovering several things about quilting I never realized before.  First of all, fingers have to develop tough skin on the tips to withstand heat from the iron and jabs from the occasional pin or two.  Second, I need a better chair that will support my lower back.  It does get sore after four or five hours, even though I am constantly up and down going to my ironing board in the other room.  Third, my hands get so dry from constantly handling fabric, being near the hot iron, and just generally putting them out there.  I am glad I have good lotion to put on at the end of the day. All of these things may deter the less hearty soul, but I will keep on quilting.
After I pieced the above top, I spent some time making three more blocks for the border of my intuition quilt.  I am getting near finishing this quilt top.  Maybe next week.  Joyful quilting, everyone.

No comments: