Thursday, February 17, 2011

New Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative quilt

This one is called Honolulu Sunset. When Tom and I first moved to Hawaii, we lived in Honolulu, right across the street from the beach. I loved watching the sunsets. They were always so beautiful. I decided I wanted to recreate the moments in a small quilt.
It amazes me that it takes so long to create a 9" by 12" quilt. I started with a very rough sketch. Then, I looked through my books and online for a foundation pattern for a blazing sun. Of course, I couldn't find one, so I had to design one. That was a challenge in and of itself. Once I got the design done and the parts numbered, I dug into my stash for just the right fabrics. I had a few problems with the foundation piecing, but eventually worked it all out. I love the fabric I found for the sun's reflection on the water. I used a gold thread to quilt it to simulate sun on the water. I am going to bind it in a dark green, then send it on its way to be auctioned off.
I also wanted to share a photo of Isabella with her very own stash. She developed a love of fabric when she designed the quilt for her Grandma Edwards. That same grandma gifted Isabella with the fabric she was making yo-yos with. Isabella has a wonderful time with her fabric, and today she informed me she needs more fabric to put up on my design wall for a new quilt. Oh dear, what have we done.



7 comments:

Willa said...

What a wonderful wake-up present - a new posting! The reflection is amazing; the whole quilt is fantstic! I look forward to seeing it on the alzheimer site.

It's fun to see Bella - how could she not follow in her grandmothers' footsteps!

em's scrapbag said...

Your quilt is A-MAZE-ZA-ZING!!!!!! Very beautiful!
Bella is a great budding quilter.

Mac said...

Absolutely beautiful! It definitely reminds me of those lovely Hawaiian sunsets.

Laura said...

What a beautiful quilt! You must be thrilled to have your vision turn into such a great reality!

Sarah Craig said...

I love your quilt - and I agree, it seems harder to make a little bitty quilt than to make a big one! Bella is well on her way to becoming a quilter - she's got a good example! My granddaughter has her own little stash too - triangles I've off-cut from snowball blocks, little scraps she's picked up off my scrap piles - those are "her" fabrics, and she pretends to put quilts together with them all the time! Thanks for linking up - whoop whoop!!!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

Your little granddaughter is cute!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Absolutely stunning, Willa! As an AAQI volunteer and quilt donator, I am thrilled to have discovered your blog and view such gorgeous creations!!