Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tackling quarter square triangle units


It only took me two tries, but I figured out how to make quarter square triangle units the size I want them.  I still say that using quilting to teach basic math concepts would be a fantastic way to have students use math in a practical way. I have been putting off learning how to make these beauties because I was unsure how to keep them from getting all out of shape.  After a year and a half of making quilts, I think my skills are really improving.  I am still really looking forward to class with Gwen Marston next weekend to see how these things are really supposed to be done.
But I digress.  As I look at this mini now, I wonder how I can make the pink and blue solid pieces in the second border work better.  I like the brightness of them, and having a nice place to rest your eyes, but I am not sure my love of asymmetry works well here.  I believe I can make it work in the final border.  I just have to figure out how.  Don't you love the fussy cut corners on this border?  They are from the same KF as the center flower.
Tomorrow is going to be another beautiful day in the PNW.  My daughter and son-in-law are taking me out, with Tom, to a wonderful seafood dinner on the water at Salty's in West Seattle.  Until then, I will play in the studio.  I hope you moms out there are doing something equally as fun.  Enjoy your day.  Until next time, joyful quilting.

8 comments:

Maree said...

Wow Miki I love colours in this quilt. The corner blocks are gorgeous - cant wait to see where you go with this quilt. Its hard to believe you have only been quilting fo 18 months - you are producing some fabulous work.

I have just had all my family except the oldest two granddaughters here this morning for mothers day. It is always great to get everyone together.

I am so jealous of your upcoming class with Gwen Marston - hers was one of the first books I bought a couple of years ago.

Nancy Bowron said...

I totally agree about the math teaching concept. I think that about knitting as well.

A quilt class with Gwen Marston? How cool is that!!! I'll be watching for pictures and tips! Have fun!

Nancy Bowron said...

I totally agree about the math teaching concept. I think that about knitting as well.

A quilt class with Gwen Marston? How cool is that!!! I'll be watching for pictures and tips! Have fun!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your piece is coming along wonderfully. Enjoy your family time.

Sarah Craig said...

Those quarter square triangle units really do amazing things for your quilt!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Miki. This is a lovely piece. I like the asymmetry and the colors are subtle and gorgeous. Triangle units are so versatile and present so many possibilities. Also liked your quilt with the large floral fabric--simply beautiful.
best, nadia

sheila 77 said...

Gosh, Miki, I miss your blog for what seems like half a day and in that short time you've created more wonderful pieces. I loved your Orange mini over at 15 minutes and I still love it here. What a fun pink and blue mini - great triangles and superb fussy cutting!

Nifty Quilts said...

Sounds like a perfect Mother's Day, Enjoy!