Monday, August 22, 2011

Playing in the studio today


Today, I wanted to get my guild's BOM done today.  I think I will make a few more of these and make a lap quilt using rainbow colors.  I have always liked this block, but have found it hard for some reason.  Getting all the pieces in the right place sometimes gets confusing for some reason.  I was pleased that this one came out pretty well.  Hopefully, they will be easier now.


I have been really wanting to make this cow from Mary Lou Weidman and Melanie McFarland's new book, Out of the Box with Easy Blocks.  I call this one Dreaming of Paisley.  I used some of my paisley collection and a piece of dark sky/cloud/moon fabric I was recently given.  The contrast between the cow pieces and the background is not as strong as I want, but this was a practice piece.  The pattern in the book is for a much larger quilt.  I wanted a small piece to hang on my bedroom wall.  I started out by using my math skills (LOL) to reduce the size of the pattern.  I adapted and adjusted as I went.  Now that I have good measurements, I plan on making more this size with brighter colors and more contrast.  I really love so many of the patterns and designs in this book.  So whimsical and fun.


The last thing I worked on today was pulling fabric together for the next block in my art masters quilt.  This time I have selected a piece by Henri Toulouse Lautrec called The Clowness.  I have always been a Lautrec fan, and I chose this painting for the colors.  I am using primarily batiks for this piece.  I have some process issues to work out before I proceed much further.  I am also expecting more yellow fabric from a very generous follower in the next day or two.  I will be posting more about this block as it progresses.
Until tomorrow, joyful quilting, everyone. 



5 comments:

Nancy Bowron said...

The cow is great!

Impera Magna said...

The Lautrec painting is going to be fantastic as a quilt block... looking forward to seeing it come together! You've got a great start with it already!

Cathy said...

Great cow, Miki. I just got my copy of the book yesterday. The cow was a favorite of mine too. Can wait to see your Lautrec block.

Hugs

Snoodles said...

Is that block called Card Trick? I really like how you did that with those fabrics. Looking forward to seeing more squares on that one!

Sandi said...

Lovely looking inspiration for your next art quilt. Look forward to seeing a finished product!