Thursday, March 3, 2011

The oldest UFO


Today was the first full day back in my studio for about a week.  I decided to finish my 30+ year old UFO.  It has been hanging on the wall, unfinished, for a few months.  Then I listed it on my UFO list for my guild, and when the number was pulled, I had to finish it.  When I started it, Honey (my Bernina) was brand new.  I was doing a little bit of quilting, but fabrics were not what they are today.  What prompted me to use the fabrics I did when I really wanted an elegant piece amazes me today.  It was what I had back then.  The bead work center was from a 1920's dress that was falling apart.  The lace was also from vintage clothing that was beyond repair.  The beaded flower was from a neck wrap that was made of a whole mink pelt from the 20's or 30's.  Unfortunately, the applique work was done on all the old fabric, and I didn't want to redo the entire piece, so I decided to go with what I had to honor that young woman I was who created this piece long ago.  I chose fabrics for the last three borders that picked up colors in the bead work and the lace.  I am pretty happy with the new look.

Here is a detail of the old bead work.


This afternoon, I loaded the top, batting, and backing on Priscilla with the intention of getting it finished today.  Priscilla had other ideas.  Every time I start to quilt a new project, I have some sort of problem.  Today, it was the bobbin and a broken needle.  I don't really know what caused either problem, but I am becoming very familiar with the workings beneath the sewing plate.  I have had to remove it a few times to untangle threads, clean out lint, and remove broken needles.  I am sure this is happening because of things I am doing wrong, but I will get it all sorted out one day.  I made my repairs, and am ready to forge ahead.

My design wall is filled with several projects in various stages of design.  I have several orphan blocks that I want to do something with, my challenge block for 15 minutes play, another intuition style quilt, and Coming Home.  There are also several other projects stacked in baskets on my work table.  Tomorrow morning, I will start again.  I do love to create quilts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miki, I love your quilt block! It is a small work of art that needs to be in a frame on the wall! Beautiful colors and composition.

greelyrita said...

30+ year old UFO!!! Big Whoop! Whoop! Yay!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Whoop! Whoop! for sure! I've only been quilting for 9 1/2 years, but, I've got UFO's almost that old ; )

Susan said...

A great big Whoop! Whoop! for getting that UFO done! Great job!

Sarah Craig said...

Your "oldest UFO" is an amazing piece! It says so much about you - creative thinker that you obviously are! I love it. It will look great on your wall!! Hopefully your quilter will get its act together soon! And I love your orphan blocks - there's some neat stuff there! Whoop whoop!!