Saturday, March 3, 2012

Another finished top, and some play time

I added the borders to Tom's Primitiva quilt, and now it is ready for quilting.  It is bigger than I usually do, so I hung it over the backdrop in Tom's photo studio to take a picture, since it doesn't fit on the design wall very well.  Here is a close up of the corners and the border fabric.

I love this fabric, but it does two things that make me crazy.  It sheds strings everywhere, and they all stick to the orange.  The other thing is that the orange is the most wrinkle catching fabric I have worked with in a long time.  I iron it and by the time I get it ready to hang up, it is wrinkled again.  Hopefully, this won't matter when I get it all quilted.  I have no idea what I am going to use for a backing for this.  I have looked in my stash, and there is nothing that will work.  I may have to take Tom to the fabric store to select something he likes.  It is a good thing he likes to visit the fabric store.

After I finished that, I decided to work on my Modern 8 March challenge.  The challenge is to take an orphan block, and make something small just for ourselves.  I have a ton of orphan blocks from when I first started quilting and thought I would be a traditionalist.  I looked through them, trying to find one I could cut up and do something wild with.  Then I found the little moth.  The original block only goes out to the gold/orange squares.  I made it because I found this 3" square with the moth in my stash.  I fell in love with it and didn't want to lose it.  Today, I added the turquoise border, the quarter inch "flap", and the leaf border.  My new thing to learn with this piece was to include a three dimensional "flap" portion to the border.  I realized, too late, that to get what I wanted, I needed to miter the flap piece and the leaf piece.  I still like it, but next time, I will remember before it is too late.  I have drawn on some quilting marks and will do that tomorrow.  It will finish up just over 12" square, and I will hang it on my wall of mini quilts. 

The last thing I did was play with some of my improvisational blocks and see how they would look with
the turquoise.  I still have more blocks I want to make before I fully commit to a layout, but I am leaning toward the turquoise for improv sashing.  What do you think?
I have a few bee blocks I need to get done, and a doll quilt to start, and all those tops to quilt.  Where is my resolve?  Until tomorrow, joyful quilting, everyone.

6 comments:

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love Tom's quilt! I think the quilting in the orange centers will take care of the wrinkling problem. Love the border...

Sarah Craig said...

I absolutely love those improv blocks exactly like they are on the turquoise - are they sewn in that way, or just laid on it? It makes for a very cool looking piece......

Nifty Quilts said...

Your hubby's new quilt turned out great! I'll look forward to seeing it up close and personal soon.

Rebecka said...

I like Tom's quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do with the quilting. Your improvisational blocks are really fun and I like the turquoise for the sashing.

Venus de Hilo said...

The new top looks wonderful! Have fun quilting it. And I love that turquoise with the batiky improv pieces.

Aimee said...

Love the turquoise with your improv blocks. I can see why you wouldn't want to lose that little moth, it's a very nice piece