Friday, January 13, 2012

A new block


Today, I decided to make this block using Victoria's tutorial over at 15 Minute Play.  It is made with may triangles - 36 in fact.  It is about 13 x 13.  I started by taking a few smaller pieces of made fabric and putting them together.  Then I cut my first eight triangles.  Then I pulled colors from the stash shelves.  I wanted to use some of my larger scraps, and that is what I did, except for the yellow and the corner setting triangles.  These two came from the wonderful stash swap.  When I had it all together, and it went together easily, I did have some pucker in the center.  That was caused by my apparent inability to sew a straight line and not from the tutorial.  I just steamed the heck out of it, and it now lays pretty flat.  I think I will make more of these blocks as I get the urge.  Isn't it funny that I am really attracted to warm colors, but I keep using these cool colors?  I plan on making a warm one next.
The weather guessers are predicting snow for us for the weekend.  That would be very lovely, but I never count on it until it actually starts falling.  We are stocked with veggies and I have plenty of projects to work on.  Let it snow!
Joyful quilting, everyone.

7 comments:

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

This is a BEAUTIFUL block, Miki!

Sarah Craig said...

What a pretty block! I love the made fabric in it...

Good luck on the snow. We had a really pretty one yesterday evening, but it melted off by noon today. At least it didn't mess up the roads!

Venus de Hilo said...

Lovely block! (I scribbled down the instructions from V's blog, but haven't come near to getting a block made yet.) Great idea to not make this a big deal project, but simply add another block to the pile from time to time. Very sane approach!

Samantha said...

I really like that block! I might have to try that one out. :)

sheila 77 said...

Your block looks lovely and I like the colours. It looks very complicated. Yes, isn't it fun when it snows and we can stay in and sew. We have had a few frosty nights but nothing very cold during the day.

Angie in SoCal said...

made fabric - what an upbeat name for scraps - will have to use that.

Very nice block.

Pattilou said...

I love how yours turned out. I'm thinking this will be a block I play with some more. I just love the intensity of yours.