Sunday, January 8, 2012

Houses, big and small

This is house number 4 in the 12" x 12" category.  I did this without any pre-planning or sketching.  As it started, I started thinking about making it a ship captain's house, complete with widows walk at the top.  As I build each of these houses, I create a story for each one.  Crazy?  No, just a quilter with a big imagination. I am thinking of adding some salmon to the stream. 
Have you read Quilt Mania?  It is a beautiful magazine published in France.  I found it last summer and have become a big fan.  The pages are filled with quilts from shows around the world.  There are a few patterns, but mostly it is just eye candy.  In the Sept/Oct issue, there was part 1 of a house quilt created by Joe Wood.   He is the owner of Thimble Creek Quilt Shop.  Then, in the next issue came part 2.  Each house has a mini quilt side.  In the middle of the night, I woke up with a vision for a house quilt using a big house with mini quilts on the porch railings surrounded by rows of very small houses.  I have seen the tiny 3" houses all over the blogosphere lately, but I decided on 4".

I did the sketch, got the measurements, and cut the fabric.  I was not thrilled with the outcome.  I decided it would be better if it was foundation pieced.  I took the time to create foundation pieces for all 120 houses I need.  I drew the pattern for the big house I want to use.  This quilt will take a while, and I really have no business adding another project to the already long list, but I am pretty excited about it.  The added bonus is that it will use scraps.
I need to buckle down and get projects done that have January deadlines.  Maybe tomorrow.
Joyful quilting, everyone.

8 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Another house block - what a treat for a Monday morning. It is obviously a ship captain's house and I'm sure he is very happy in it. Your houses are so imaginative and beautifully sewn.

Sarah Craig said...

I love your wonky house! And your house quilt sounds like it will be very beautiful, and unique! Can't wait to see it..... even though it will be a while!

Snoodles said...

Love the sea captain's house - really cute...I can just see him up there with his spyglass! I'm looking forward to seeing your planned house block.

Nifty Quilts said...

Woo-hoo! You ARE ambitious! Love your little house boat. Maybe it's the wavy line at the bottom that puts it on the water for me.

Venus de Hilo said...

New projects have a way of convincing us they need to be made (or at least embarked on), regardless of how much else is going on. Look forward to seeing yours evolve.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your house looks great! The first thing I thought of when I saw it was a house boat :)

antique quilter said...

I LOVE house quilts and well excited to see more of yours.
love your ship captains house , wish I could be more liberated and make blocks like this.
oh yes add those fish please!
kathie

KatieQ said...

I love your sea captain's house. How cool that you even included a widow's walk.
I tried and failed at the tiny 3" houses everyone seems to be making. I like your 4 inch house. I may have to draft up my own to get a size I feel comfortable working with.