Saturday, October 15, 2011

Studio Time


I made a couple of new blocks for the Jacob's Ladder.  I seem to be channeling some Victorian persona who loved these chintz like florals.  Each time I make a block, I am reminded of oak furniture, antimacassars, chintz covered couches, and tchotchkes.  I think I would love to have a parlor like that, with lovely quilts everywhere.  I also think I would have to be a better housekeeper to pull that off.  Oh well.  A woman can dream.


Yes, it really is this pale.  I have been working with so many bright colors, this one looks pretty strange on my design board.  These are four little blocks for my guild.  They are for a presentation quilt.  It is hard to believe I used to prefer these pastel colors.
On a completely different note, I received 12 blocks in the mail from an exchange I am in on Mary Lou Weidman's yahoo group.  Here they are in no particular order.

Aren't they fun?  They will have to wait for a little while before I have time to figure out how I want to put them together.  We all purchased the same background fabric and used bright fabrics to make our fish.  They were each supposed to be at least 14" long with no height restrictions.  Whacky and wonky is good in this group.  We are currently doing a Christmas ornament block exchange.  These blocks will be much simpler in construction.
I spent the rest of the day quilting on the BASICs quilt and cutting purple and pink polka dot fabric for Bella's quilt.  Tomorrow, I will finish up one BASICs quilt and load up another one.  I will also start sewing Bella's quilt, as well as working on my BOM blocks and another JL block.
Until then,
Joyful quilting, everyone.

9 comments:

Joanne said...

Great Jacob's Ladder, I agree with you about the parlor, I too would have to be a different house keeper though.
The fish are too cute! So cheerful.

Tom Willa said...

I like the Jacob ladder blocks a lot. We would need to have a pretty big parlor for your quilts and super efficent wood firplace to keep it toasty. I'd like a super comfortable reading chair with modern lights to read in.

Sarah Craig said...

Looks like you're having fun in the studio! Glad to see you got some fish back - I was really missing the ones you sent off!!

Let's not even talk about housekeeping and dust...... ;-)

scraphappy said...

The background color on the Jacob's Ladder is perfect. Nothing could top those fish though, they are fabulous!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

wow! I can see a shift in your color palette! chintz and lights! the fish are a hoot!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love the chintz look and the fish look too! There's room enough for more than one style, isn't there?

Snoodles said...

All the variety keeps life interesting! Love the fish - that will be a very happy quilt. I enjoy seeing your blocks...you inspire me to do more and to try new things!

Impera Magna said...

Love your JL block... and that color solid seems to go with anything!

Those fish blocks are incredible! Can't wait to see what you do with those...

Nifty Quilts said...

Love those chintzy blocks! And those fish!!