Saturday, January 22, 2011

Four more 12 inch blocks

I spent the day today creating more 12 inch blocks for the online exchange. I am having fun making blocks with fabric I like and trying out different blocks. The top two were made with more fall colors, and I have enough fabric left to make a small quilt. I like this block, but I will play with the fabric layout some more. The bottom two are made with more civil war era prints. I did some strip piecing, and used them in two different ways. It is hard to see in the photograph that there are five rows in the stripped part. I am not sure I really like the dark brown on the bottom right, but it is growing on me. Maybe if I used it as inner strips with lighter outer strips, I would like it better. Actually, I do like it better on the wall than on the computer. I have one more to go before they all go in the mail.

I have received three blocks from other members of the exchange. Now that I have started this, I am not sure what I will do with the blocks from others. These three are very different from anything I would make. All are well made. I like each one for different reasons. I think I could make table runners out of them, not together of course. I will have to dig through my stash and see what I can find that will go with them. If any of you participate in block exchanges where you get individual blocks from different quilters, what do you do with them?

1 comment:

Bookwoman said...

So, you could extend the sides of the 12" blocks and create a series of unique placemats...?