Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Busy studio day


I had a very busy day in the studio today, and got a lot done. I finished piecing 12 of the 16 nine patch blocks for Mary Ann's quilt. I just had to cut them up and get them on the design wall. Of course, I had to go buy a new design wall because my two small ones were filled. I am loving the colors of this quilt. It is primarily batiks I have collected over time, some left over fabric I had from Moda's Tranquility line, and a wonderful piece of purple fabric, also from Moda. I found some rich warm brownish paisley for sashing and borders. On Thursday, when I get back into the studio, I will finish up the last four nine patch squares, cut them up, add them to the wall, and start to cut and sew the new blocks together. I have designed this so there won't be any seams to match, at least not too many.
I also got all the strip units sewn and cut for the bonus grab bag quilt. There will be 30 5 inch squares. I am going to add sashing and borders to make this a comfortable lap quilt. I think there may be enough fabric in the bag to complete the top.
I have quilt guild tonight. I am looking forward to seeing everyone and hearing what everyone got over the holidays that is quilt related . We also get our new block of the month, and make some decisions about other projects we may want to continue or not. I am hoping we continue the mystery quilt, but I will have to wait and see until this evening.

3 comments:

Bookwoman said...

Miki- I LOVE the colors you have chosen for
my quilt: you know me well. This is exciting to
watch take form. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Miki,
Perfect for MA!

Willa said...

Tell me about your design walls - how big? manufacturers? You are so productive!!! I am envious!