Sunday, September 16, 2012

Post #300 - Whoohoo!

I finished this little AAQI quilt.  It is dedicated to Lori Crammer who is the mother of a friend's friend.  There are so many people I know who have friends and family affected by this terrible disease, Alzheimer's.   If you want to help raise funds for research toward the elimination of this disease, and get a little bit of quilt art for your wall, stop by the AAQI site and look at all the beautiful quilts for sale.  I know I mention this each month, but I believe these folks are doing a good thing and I want to help spread the word.
The other day, when we went to La Conner and bought the Marcia Derse fabric, I started toying with an idea for a quilt.  I had seen some pieces in the Japanese quilt exhibit based on a game called Genji Koh.  I really liked the designs, so I very loosely interpreted them with this one. In fact, it is so loosely interpreted, the people who know this game would probably not recognize my inspiration.  I made a block up using some batiks I like to see if I really like the design.  I will use this for a pillow, I think.  It is 18" square.  When I put four of them together, using the magic of Photoshop, it looks like this.
I have enough of the Derse to make 16 blocks, and I bought enough light batik to use as background.  There will be six different Derse fabrics in the quilt.  I think it will go together pretty quickly, once I get all the pieces cut.  Now, I am wishing I had purchased more of the Derse, but I will keep looking for them on sale.  Ha-ha.
I was trying to figure out how to celebrate my 300th post on this blog.  I could get all philosophical about why I blog, or why I quilt.  I could have built a collage of the highlights of what I have posted since I started quilting.  Instead, I will leave you with a photo of the first quilt I made when I started quilting again in 2010.
It is made with a layer cake of Sandy Gervais's Tranquility for Moda.  I had such difficulty with the layout of this quilt, I thought I would never get it done.  The trouble I had quilting it on my old Bernina prompted Tom to purchase me a mid-arm machine and Little Gracie frame for my birthday that year.  It has been all uphill since then.  I love quilting.  I love blogging about quilting.  I love the online quilting community.
With that said, joyful quilting everyone.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Tom Willa said...

Hi Honey
Your quiltting and blogs are wonderful. I'm always impressed with the beauty, the hard work and your dedication to creating, sharing and encouraging others.
love you Tom

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the new quilts. Congratulations on 300.

Sarah Craig said...

And we love reading your blog, so keep up the good work!!! Congratulations on 300 - and love that little AAQI quilt!!