Friday, July 13, 2012

Progress on the shirt quilt


I started sewing the larger blocks together in rows this morning.  The strip of two on the right is what I did, three times.  Then, remember those 2 1/2" squares I cut from scraps the other day?  I decided to make strips of those to separate the larger strips.  I didn't get further than making enough four patches to put on the wall for the first gap.  I will have to work on the rest on Tuesday.  I have Bella for the next three days, so won't get much sewing done.


Here is a detail of just a portion of this quilt.  When I started this project, I wasn't sure if I would really like it or not.  I liked the idea of using re-purposed shirts and scraps that would probably just stay in the scrap boxes if not for this kind of project.  Now, I am really happy I started it.  I think it is a happy quilt.  The colors all sort of sing to me.  I enjoy seeing the scraps from other projects I have worked on.  I have a piece of a favorite Hawaiian dress, something from a quilt that I gifted a good friend, an old shirt of mine, pieces from a quilt I made for Tom, and many more little gems.  Lots of the fabric is from friends.  I guess this will be sort of a memory quilt.  That is a good thing.  Tom would like it to be a little bigger, and I think I know what to do that will keep the same flavor, but keep me from getting bored.  Does that ever happen to you?
I do have a tip to share about scrap/project storage.  I am a big fan of salad greens that come in big plastic tubs.  We eat quite a lot of them, so I wash them out well and use them for fabric storage.  I keep scraps in them or I keep fabric I am pulling for projects all together in them.  They stack very nicely.  They are free, and I am keeping them out of landfills.
Have a great weekend everyone.  Joyful quilting.

5 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Yes, this does look like a happy quilt. I like the way you have introduced the other squares and it must be quite satisfying and interesting to make this from a different type of fabric other than the quilters' Kaffes etc.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

I have really enjoyed watching this lovely coming together!

Karen said...

This is really coming together. Enjoy your time with Bella.

Nifty Quilts said...

I really like how this is turning out! The additions of black and red really spice it up. And the subtle separation provided by the little squares is brilliant. My husband always wants me to make my quilts larger. I don't listen to him. Neither does he listen to me when I suggest something about his photography. So there!

Snoodles said...

Miki, I really like how this is coming along. You have such a great eye for putting things together! I think it is wonderful that it is a sort of memory quilt, too! Pretty!