Thursday, July 12, 2012

No quilts today, only chickens

I did spend some time in the studio this morning, making more blocks for the shirt quilt.  I made a design decision about it I will save until tomorrow when I can get it up on the design wall.  I think it is pretty exciting.  In the meantime, I thought I would introduce you to our chickens, just for fun.


Meet Janis Joplin.  Isn't she a beauty?  We are pretty sure she is not an Americauna, which is not really a recognized breed but a mix.  When they were three days old, they all looked alike.  We still like her.  I tried to capture the beautiful blues and greens in her feathers, but the light was just not right.  She is the leader of the pack.


This blond beauty is Veronica Lake.  She is just as sassy as she looks.  She has the fluffy cheeks typical of the Americauna, but they are not as pronounced as they are on Lady Bud.  Veronica is the most stand-offish of the group, and the last one to head into the pen at night.


Just like her namesake, Katherine Hepburn doesn't like to have her photo taken.  Notice the classy pattern of dark against blond made by the feathers on her back.  She also has the darker feathers under her neck.  She has a pretty even disposition and likes to nibble on her greens.


Last, but certainly not least, is Lady Bug.  She is the friendliest of the four.  Because she has the dark cheek feathers, her fluffy face is pretty pronounced.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get a front face view today.  She wanted a profile shot.  I am not sure what the red thing is by her mouth.  I think it is Janis Joplin's little crown in the background.
These four ladies have figured out that they want the safety of the coop at night, so we no longer have to chase them around to put them in.  When they are ready, they climb the ramp by themselves, usually with Janis in the lead.  If we don't get out there when they reach the top, they let us know.  I hope they adjust their bed time as the days get shorter.  I wouldn't want to be out there in the dark trying to get the gate latched.
So far, having chickens is a great adventure.  Hopefully, they will begin laying eggs in the fall when they reach six months old.  I am not going to change this into a chicken blog, but I did want to share a bit of what else we are doing these days.
Tomorrow, I should have more quilt photos for you.  Until then,
Joyful quilting, everyone.





6 comments:

KatieQ said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your lovely ladies. There are no chickens in our future so I have to live vicariously through blog pictures.

Wilma Lee said...

We're getting some chickens this fall. Probably only 3. I think it will be fun, plus, I like eggs....

Impera Magna said...

What beautiful hens! Thanks for sharing the photos... and I hope we are in for more photos of your girls!

sheila 77 said...

I do like a good chicken blog and I too look forward to more chicken news. Thanks for introducing us to these personalities and they do look beautiful. I like the introduction of red and orange checks into your quilt. The arrangement you have here looks very well balanced.

Margaret said...

They're beautiful ... good luck with them! Can't help being reminded of the time I was a little girl & someone gave me 6 chicks for Easter. They all turned out to be roosters & at the crack of dawn they would start crowing. The catch is that we lived in Brooklyn, not the country. (You don't want to know how this story finally ended.)

Sarah Craig said...

Your chickens are so pretty! Especially Janis - although Veronica is also quite lovely....