Saturday, September 3, 2011

The corduroy challenge

Remember this piece of wide waled corduroy I got at the last Rebels meeting?


Well, I have been looking at it for over a week now, wondering what I would do with it.  During the week, I pulled random fabrics to set around it looking for something wonderful to go with it.  I found an old thrift shop red chambray shirt and some bright golden batik in my stash that looked pretty good.  Yesterday, I went to a neighbors yard sale and found a couple pairs of corduroy pants I thought might work.  Today, I started laying out, cutting, moving around, and finally stitching.  Finally, I came up with this pillow top.



The biggest challenge turned out to be an unpleasant experience with melting fabric.  Originally, I wanted to use a piece of teal narrow wale corduroy where the light blue is.  It was such a beautiful color.  It was pretty heavy, and I suspected it was upholstery fabric.  I sewed a seam between it and a piece of the red and when I went to press it, the teal melted.  It was a very nasty mess.  I have never seen anything like it before.  Fortunately, I got the iron cleaned.  The board cover is in trouble, though, and I may have to replace it, finally.  Good thing I have a Joann coupon.
I also made another whirling hexagon.  I used the opposite triangles as the spacing pieces to see what it would look like.  They give it an interesting look, I think.


I am really liking this pattern.  It is so quick and easy.  Each block is 13" by 12" finished.  I think I will make Tomorrow is another quilty day.
Joyful quilting, everyone.

2 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

I like your corduroy piece -very interesting and unique! And the little whirligigs are very cool!!

Impera_Magna said...

Love your cool pillow cover! Too bad about the teal fabric... glad you got your iron cleaned!