Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Basics block and the start of a new quilt


Basics Promesa is a program in the Lower Eastside of Manhattan in New York City.  One of the wonderful things this organization does is to help families transition out of shelters and into more permanent housing.  Victoria Findlay Wolfe supports this program by providing quilts for as many families as she can.  She can't do it alone.  She is inviting all quilters to make and donate a quilt to this program.  Her goal is to gather 350 by Thanksgiving.  This is doable given the number of quilters there are.  Go to this website to learn more about this program and how you can help.  The above block is one for a group quilt for the 15 Minute Play folks to donate.


These two blocks are for a quilt I am making for my nephew and his fiance who are getting married on October 1. Shh!  They don't know I am making it, but they don't look at my blog so it will still be a surprise.  It is the same pattern I used for the H2H quilt.  This time, the fabrics are black and white and emerald green.  Do you know how hard it is to find emerald green cotton quilt fabric?  I finally found this batik that works pretty well.  I am liking the bold look that these fabrics bring.  I can't decide which one is my favorite.  I hope they like it and that the green passes muster.
For another project, I find myself in need of yellow and gold scraps.  Does anyone out there have some they would be willing to part with?  I have two small pieces left.  If you are willing to share, please let me know and I will send you my address.  Maybe I have something in my scrap box that you are looking for.  Thanks for considering it.
I have guild meeting tonight, so I need to go type up the agenda.  Tonight, I present the awards from our quilt show.  I have it on good authority, since I have the prizes, ribbons, and award list, that Hokule'a won the People's Choice award for challenge block.  My first quilt award.  I am really pretty humbled by this because there were some fabulous quilts in this show.  And to think, I wasn't even going to enter it.
Have a great evening and joyful quilting, everyone.

3 comments:

Mac said...

The quilt blocks are beautiful. The kids will love their "auntie" quilt! Thanks for making this for them.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Miki thanks for the shout out on BASICS, your BLOCk is gorgeous! How fabulous is that quilt going to be!
The other blocks are super cute too.

tropicslady said...

Regarding the yellow and gold scraps that you are in need of, are you looking for solids or prints? Big prints or little prints? Big pieces of scraps or small pieces of scraps? I'll ramble through my scraps and see what I have for yellow and gold later today and then let you know if I am successful.
Deb