Sunday, July 3, 2011
A little play, a little machine applique, and an award
I started my studio time today making a little bit of fabric. I need quite a bit of it for some upcoming projects, so I thought I would get started. If I add six to eight inches every day, I will have enough by mid July to do everything I want.
Next, I got started on the applique portion of the iris. Before I started, however, I wanted to add leaves. That meant I had to go get some SteamASeam. Then I realized I didn't have the right dark green for the leaves, and I was out of stabilizer. Hmmm. After a quick trip to JoAnns, where the rotary cutter blades are on sale at 50% off, I cut the leaves, steamed it all together, and started the machine applique. I was working on another project yesterday and used the double blanket stitch. After I got half way through, I realized I don't like the look of that stitch very much. Today, I used the single blanket stitch, and I was much happier. I got about 2/3 of the way done before my eyes started to cross and I had to call it quits. So far, I am very happy with what has been happening.
Sunni and Melissa over at Love Affair With My Brother gave me this lovely blog award. I am supposed to tell you seven things about myself. Here goes.
1. I am going to be 65 this year and I'm really excited that I can finally get all those senior discounts out there.
2. I am a vegetarian.
3. My favorite food is bread. I especially love hardy European breads with crusty outside and chewy inside.
4. I have just discovered the joy of working with Philip Jacobs fabrics, and want to have them all.
5. My husband and I are Send Out Cards distributors. Interested? Leave me a comment.
6. I am a retired teacher and school librarian.
7. I love the process of selecting fabrics, figuring out what to do with what I have chosen, cutting, sewing, quilting, and enjoying quilts.
I will select more lovely blogs over the next week.
Have a wonderful fourth, everyone.