Monday, May 2, 2011
H2H top finished
I try not to show the same quilt very many times here, but I got this top finished today and wanted to share it. I am really pleased with the overall look. Rhonda sent some fantastic fabrics. These are colors I would not have selected on my own, so it was really fun to expand my horizons. I used up just about every last piece she sent me. I was able to use a large piece I had been saving for the back, the small inner border, and the short bars on the squares block. The only thing I had to buy was the black and white for the star background and the outer 4" border. Here is a close-up of a corner so you can see the fabric better.
The quilt is 60" x 60". It is now hanging on the quilt rack with its backing waiting for me to have a quilting day.
Amongst the other things I did today was to design a foundation piece for a circle of flying geese to go around Hokule'a. As soon as I decide on colors for the geese and background, I will get that started. I finished stitching the compass to the background using a double blanket stitch (number 79 on my Bernina 350). I used variegated King Tut in blues, golds and greens. I am not sure I am thrilled with it yet, but I am hoping I come around. I would hate to rip that all out. It is raw edge stitched, so if I feel so compelled, I could rip it out. Maybe the ring of geese will make a difference.
Today, I finished two quilt tops, made a foundation piece pattern, made a star block with made fabric and took photos to write a tutorial for another blog, and generally had a great time in the studio. The rain is back in our neck of the woods. One day of sun was nice, but I am ready for at least three in a row any time now. I hope all is going well with all of you.
Joyful quilting, everyone.