Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Playing with fabric, and a few favorite blogs


Sometimes, I spend a long time in the studio, but have nothing new to show because I spent time playing with fabric and looking through mags and books for new patterns.  This happened to me yesterday and today.  Yesterday, I did sew a border on a table runner, but I don't want to post it until it is finished.  I also looked at several pattern books and found one I wanted to make with the Bali Pops (Zinfandel) I picked up at Sisters in Chehalis.  I found one in Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprise. I found a perfect background fabric in the box from Carol Doak.  I cut all the rectangles (576) and squares (288), then I marked my diagonal lines on the squares.  This takes a bunch of time, and it is very boring, but I know that if I don't do it, I will be very sorry.  By the time I finished, I decided to call it a day in the studio.
Today, I looked at more pattern books.  I am in charge of the 2012 Raffle Quilt for my guild, and I need to find a couple of patterns to submit to the board for approval.  I am also the president of the guild this year, so I essentially have two votes one this:  One to select a few favorites, and one to vote for my really favorite.  That would be so much easier if I didn't fall in love with half the quilts I see.  The guild wants to do a more traditional quilt for 2012, but using modern fabrics.  I saw one online that I think might work.  I just have to find it again.  And that brings me to my next topic.
I love quilt blogs.  I spend some time each morning and evening reading about what other quilters are doing.  I am often inspired to head into the studio overflowing with ideas.  I would like to share some of what I found this week.  First, I love this small quilt tutorial over at Don't Call Me Betsy.  This is a very cute small bookshelf quilt where she uses selvedges on the "spines" of the books.  I have already started a small pile of selvedges so I can make one of the gems.
I also enjoy the daily posts over at Stash Manicure.  Each weekday, there are guest posters who bring a real variety of ideas, some tutorials, some give-aways, and general fun to the blog. Today's post has a fun tutorial about making a cathedral window pillow using machine sewing.  Each month, the blog host, Madame Samm, designs a new banner using quilts submitted for consideration by regular readers.  It is always fun to see what she picks.
I couldn't do a post about blogs without mentioning Bumble Beans.  This is the main blog of Victoria Findley Wolf.  She is also the host of 15 minutes play.  Victoria has a fabulous eye for color, and she is a wonderful inspiration for quilting outside the box.  When I came back to quilting after way too many years,  I was sure I would be a very traditional quilter.  After stumbling on 15 minutes play, and after a year creating abstract collages, I have embraced this style of creating quilts as well.  Both of these sites are great fun, filled with beautiful eye candy.
There are many more wonderful blogs out there, but I will wait for another post to share a few more.  In the meantime, you can see who I am following by checking my blog roll.
Joyful quilting everyone.

No comments: