Thursday, March 17, 2011

A new Alzheimer's Art Quilt and a pieced border


I decided to make a small Tanzanian Tango for my March Alzheimer's Art Quilt.  This time, I started with 8" squares.  I cut my strips smaller and made sure I used a scant 1/4 inch.  These quilts have a maximum size limit of 9" x 12" including binding.  I didn't have enough room to add the same borders as the original piece, so I decided to add the black and gold pieces to the ends, then use orange for the binding.  This piece is 8" x 11.5".

I worked on the second border for Rumba today, as well.  I made strips of hand dyed fabric in two different shades of turquoise and a sky blue along with the teal from the containment border and the original fabric.  I sewed the strips together in a wonky fashion to match off-kilter lines in the original fabric.  Then I cut the striped sections into 3" sections.  I sewed them end to end to make long enough strips for the piece.  I am really happy with the way this is coming along.  I like the way the blues continue to bring out the bright oranges, reds, and golds.  I don't know what comes next.  Does this stop here, or do I continue to add borders to make this into a lap quilt.  Time will tell.  Presently, the piece is 23" x 24".

5 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

Love these! You do great work with fabulous fabrics, Miki!!

P. said...

They're both so very beautiful! I like the second piece just as it is.

greelyrita said...

Good work! Whoop!Whoop!

Sarah Craig said...

Miki, these are amazing! I love the way your fabrics work together - whoop whoop!!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Both are wonderful!