Sunday, October 28, 2012

Another row, and exciting backyard events

First for the exciting backyard news!  As some of you know, we have backyard chickens.  We had a rooster and three hens.  The rooster has found a new home because he was a total bully and kept Tom awake much of the night.  The hens have been much happier.  We put up a tarp to protect them from the rain, and a heat lamp in the coop so they will be warm and cozy at night.  This afternoon, we heard them squawk up a storm, which is very unusual, so we looked out and saw a large hawk sitting on top of the coop, eyeing the hens to select an easy dinner.  Tom ran outside and I started yelling out the window.  The hawk flew up into the tree over the chicken yard, but not far enough away.  Tom quickly put the girls into the coop where they will be safe and warm.  Disaster averted for now. And on to quilting.
Today, I tackled the row of trees.  I sure thought I was on the right track.  I measured carefully, cut and sewed, making sure I had quarter inch seams.  I don't have any idea where I went wrong, but I was off by three inches in the end.
I ended up adding a couple of strips of sky to make the row wide enough.  I didn't want to do the row over again, and I think this works just find.
I still have to come up with a sashing strip between the amber waves of grain and the trees.  I have sewn the rest of the rows together, and I am very happy with it so far.
Remember when I talked about the way the directions had us make the friendship stars that left me with a bunch of extra triangles?  Well, I couldn't throw them away, so I played around with them today, and this is what I put together.
My sister and I found the background fabric during the Stash Dash, and I fell in love with the subtle colors.  When I put the quarter square triangles together from the extra trianges, I knew I wanted to build an AAQI quilt with them and this fabric.  I am particularly happy with this piece because I was able to translate an idea in my head into reality with fabric.  I only wish I was a better quilter so I could continue to carry out the vision.  I think this one will get facing instead of binding.
I hope you are all doing okay with the unpredictable natural events going on all around us.
Joyful quilting, everyone.
 
 
 


3 comments:

Nifty Quilts said...

I like the way this quilt is shaping up!

sheila 77 said...

It's very mysterious how you can measure and measure and still be out. Your quilt is coming along really well. Good hen story and glad they are alright. Funnily enough we saw a hawk in our garden yesterday for the first time in years, I think it was eyeing the bluetits.

Cathy said...

Love the quilt and the fabrics you have chosen. Hugs