Friday, September 14, 2012

This and That

This the the 2nd block for the Grandmother's Choice block of the week. It is called amethyst. I really had trouble getting it the right size.  In fact, it is the wrong size.  I followed the directions to size the template so the center square is 3 3/8".  Unfortunately, that makes the square 10".  It is supposed to be 8".  I may figure out how to make it the right size, or I may not.  It is not my favorite block in the world.  I do like the fabric, just not the design.  And that has nothing to do with the fact that there are Y seams.
On a completely different note, I decided to join Victoria's light value challenge over at 15 Minutes Play. If you follow my work at all, you know that I don't really use light fabrics.  Mid values and darks make me happy.  I keep being told that a little bit of light valued fabric would make my work more interesting and exciting.  I decided to join this challenge to see if I could make myself work light.  When I first looked at the photo, I thought it was over exposed.  It is not.  These are pretty much the true colors.  It is kind of pretty, but I keep wanting to add darks.  Maybe I will set these 8" blocks in some dark purple sashing.  Hmmmm.
Ahhh!  This is more like it!.  I had some left over fall leaf fabric strips, so I pulled some solids to match the colors and tried to create the riot of color that is fall.  I certainly got a riot.  I am wondering about the strong reds.  Maybe an orange would have been better, but I didn't have orange, and I am only using what I have for these small quilts.  This one is 16" square. I do like red, and it is growing on me.  For the record, I started this one first thing this morning when it was cooler, then did the amethyst block, then the lights when it reached 84 degrees..  Interesting progression.
Tomorrow, I will be working on my broderie perse project.  I hope to get it done soon.
Joyful quilting, everyone.
 
 
 

1 comment:

Impera Magna said...

Love the Amethyst block.... but not sure why it turned out to be 10"... weird...

The red mini is gorgeous!