I don't know if you can see how stunning this fabric is from the photo. It is "Flowering star of Ghana" from the 2001 Alexander Henry collection. When I was visiting my friend Sharon in her studio, she was pulling fabric from her basket of silks and brocades when she casually set this one aside. I fell in love with it, and she gifted it to me. It was a one yard piece, with a small 9" square cut out. Not her colors, she told me. I have been looking at if for a few weeks now, pulling other fabrics from my shelves and putting them back. Then, I found a 1/4 yard piece of the teal flowers from Sandy Gervais Tranquility and knew that was it. I spent a few minutes doodling, and then set to work.
At this point, this is what I have. These will all come together as a liberated medallion of sorts. The hsts are left overs from the stars I showed in the last post. I am also going to use strips of the orange fabric to fill in. I may use some narrow strips from the dark teal in the hsts. I want to make sure the liberated stars really stand out when all is said and done. I have only made these a couple of times before, and I really like them, even though they take much longer than regular stars. Sometimes, it takes more thought to be liberated.
This is going to be another one of my process, or intuitive, quilts. So far, all I have is a seed of an idea for the middle. I have to dig through my stash and see how much teal and orange I can find. That will dictate the final size of this piece.
Joyful quilting, everyone.