Meet Gaea. I posted the faces for this piece here. I made the background a couple of weeks ago, and posted it here. Since then, I have scratched my head about how to marry the parts. Sharon is a wonderful quilt artist and I didn't want to mess up her great pieces. After playing around with the different parts, I settled on this layout. I wanted to use all three faces, but I just couldn't figure out how to in a small piece. Then, I had to figure out how I wanted to attach them. I decided to use really small stitches and attach the lighter green leaves first. Then, I put the face with her already attached leaves down. I only sewed around some of the leaves, leaving parts three dimensional. Lastly, I attached the leaf garland so it hung down over her forehead. I really like the way it all works together. It is very earthy. Maybe one of the other members of the international robin group will be able to brighten it up while still keeping the earthiness. It will be fun to watch this grow. I am just happy I finally caught up on this. All I have left for this month is the doll quilt, and that is layered and ready to quilt.
Tomorrow starts my three days this week with Bella. I will be back in the studio on Friday. Until then, joyful quilting, everyone.