Saturday, May 26, 2012

Fun with quilting


It is amazing that this got quilted today!  It all started out so well.  I got the backing, batting, and top on the frame without a hitch.  I had no problem winding the bobbins, which sometimes give me fits.  Then, things started to go downhill.  At the end of the first pass of the basting line at the top, the extension cord didn't stretch far enough and the carriage that holds Priscilla (the Juki) went off the tracks.  Frustration number one.  Tom was kind enough to help me put it all back on.  All systems go.  Then, the thread broke about six inches into the quilting.  After I figured out where I had threaded the machine wrong, I started out again.  Then, the needle broke.  I had to go in search of a new needle.  By now, I was thinking I needed to stop and walk away.  This quilt is going to a cancer patient, and I only wanted good vibes to go into it, after all.  I pulled myself together, threaded the new needle, and off I went, until that needle fell out.  I hadn't tightened it well enough.  Are you laughing yet? It had reached a point where I just had to laugh.  After I put in the needle again, and made sure it was tight, I started out again.  This all happened on the first pass across the quilt, by the way.  After I got that first pass under my belt, it was smooth sailing the rest of the way.  Now, all I have to do is make and attach the binding, and it is good to go.  I will post a photo of the finished quilt tomorrow as part of the H2H finish posting.
I hope the rest of you had a much smoother day today doing whatever you chose to do.  Enjoy your evening and the rest of your weekend.  Joyful quilting, everyone.

5 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Yes, I was laughing by that point!! I've had similar experiences with both my quilting machines, and completely commiserate! Glad to hear it all went well after the first pass - it's a beautiful quilt!!

Karen said...

Sounds like quilting experience two weeks ago. I rip quilting stitches out twice. The quilt is very cheery. Great H2H quilt.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

You are one persistent soul! And look at that great new photo of you! Wow!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Yes, I'm chuckling with you! I hope tomorrow goes more smoothly.

Impera Magna said...

A friend always says: "Man plans, God laughs".... at least that's what I tell myself when stuff like a comedy of errors like this happens.

That is a lovely cheerful quilt.... and a gorgeous new photo of you, gf!!!