Friday, December 9, 2011

My incredible sister

Before I tell you about my sister and the wonderful gift she gave me, I wanted to share this beautiful mini quilt made for me by Beth at Love, Laugh, Quilt.  The triangles are tiny left overs from other quilts.  The hand quilting is done with varigated thread.  I just love it.  Look at the way the hand quilting on the tree makes a garland.  This piece is a little over 12" x 12".  I haven't measured it yet.  It is already up on the wall.

Now, my sister.  She is my baby sister and has had to put up with me all her life.  She had to deal with me when I was a spoiled child, a rather troubled and difficult teen, and a self-centered 20-something.  She has always been kind to me and shown me her love, whether I deserved it or not.  As I have aged, I think I have become easier to put up with.  She even invites me to play bridge with her friends.  She started making quilts a little while ago, and discovered the magic and power of the walking foot, something I only dreamed about having.  Today, she and her husband fulfilled that dream.

Just look at my new Bernina walking foot!  Look at the 28 log cabin blocks I have been building with it.  What a huge difference this foot makes.  I used one once in a class, and have wanted one ever since, but these babies are out of my budget.  I can't thank you enough, Kim.  You are a great sister, a wonderful friend, and a terrific quilting angel.
Tomorrow, I will draw the winner for the giveaway.  Good luck to everyone who has entered.
Joyful quilting, everyone.


8 comments:

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

What a great and thoughtful gift! You are going to love owning this. Angel,indeed! Yay!

beth said...

I'm always telling my daughters what a blessing sisters are! You ARE blessed! So glad you like the little tree I sent! ;)

Karen said...

Happy Birthday! The tree quilt is beautiful. What a thoughtful sister you have. I hope you have a very blessed day.

Impera Magna said...

Oh... love that tree quilt! What a great idea for the hand quilting!

Yes, indeed... sisters are very special. And your early Christmas present is THE best!

Cathy said...

I love the tree quilt Beth sent you. She is such a talented quilter. Your sister is indeed a quilting angel. Enjoy your new walking foot. Hugs

Nancy Bowron said...

The walking foot is wonderful - no doubt about it!

And thanks for showing the tree - what a great inspiration! I am working on a funky table runner & place mats that are all very liberated and this idea will fit in exceptionally well!

Sarah Craig said...

Lucky you! Two wonderful gifts!!! Christmas came early.. ;-)

antique quilter said...

so your using the walking foot to piece blocks with?
that is so nice of your sister and her DH to buy it for you, well deserved I am sure
Kathie