Monday, August 1, 2011

Bella's newest design

As some of you know, I have a three year old granddaughter who loves fabric and creating on my design wall.  This is her newest design.


I am going to see what I can do to make this into a mini quilt for her.  I have the photo, and the fabric.  Now, I just have to play with some sewing techniques to put it all together.
For myself, I started a new project with the Asian fabrics I have been collecting since before I started quilting again.  I have seen this pattern around in many variations.  I had great hopes.


Imagine my despair as I went to put it on the design wall only to have the black fabric begin falling apart on me.  You can see some of the whitish tear marks on the upper right side.  I knew this fabric was odd when I ironed it and it smelled funny.  Not polyester funny, but something else.  Foolish me, I just ignored it and went on my merry way.  I love how the block looks, so I will make more, but I have thrown all the black out, including the pieces in this block.  It was easy to get them off.  They just disintegrated.  Sometimes, free fabric, even when it looks and feels okay at first, is not to be trusted.  Live and learn.
I am still trying to get the new quilters as readers club off the ground.  So far, I have one other person interested.  Look for more information soon, as well as a giveaway to help spread the word.
Joyful quilting, everyone.,

4 comments:

Willa said...

Love the Asian with the black!!!! so, so right! It will be amazing!

Impera Magna said...

Your granddaughter is a genius! How every exciting!!!

Bummer about the black fabric... glad you found out about it early on tho...

Nancy Bowron said...

I love free fabric too, although I haven't had fabric disintegrate yet!

Sarah Craig said...

Miki, that Asian block is really cool! Sorry about your fabric disintegrating - I had some do that on me yesterday (fortunately I was pre-washing it to be sure it wouldn't disintegrate!) And I love Bella's quilt - it will be amazing!