Friday, July 29, 2011
Taking on the Y seam
Here is my second fish. Only ten more to go for the swap. I did cut out two more bodies from this strata. I used some already made fabric for the tail and the bottom fin. The top fin is from a batik scrap. The water fabric is consistent with all the swappers. This fish is 14.5" by 8.5". These fish are a bunch of fun to make, but they take time, at least for me who is angle challenged, it seems.
I got the top shelf of two done today. I started on the bottom shelf. I think it is going to be a challenge to get the widths to match for each section. Again, it is the angles of the leaning books. I really like the way they look, though, so I am keeping them. The little blue and yellow pieces is another story,
The other day, I found a photo I took a couple of years ago of an abandoned lumber yard. One of the walls of the main building was a mish-mash of boards and windows of different colors and textures. It was that time of day when the sun was glowing in reflection on the glass, making the building look like there was a fire inside. I decided it looked like a quilt. Then, before I could get it sketched out, I misplaced the photo. So, I started sketching my impressions of the photo, and I think it is better than it would have been if I had the photo. The only problem is that there are tons of Y, or set-in, seams on the left half of the quilt. I tried re-drawing it to make them go away, but I didn't like it half as well. So, I am going to have to learn to make them. I started to learn a while ago, but gave up. Thus, the blue and yellow piece.
This is my fourth attempt today, and there is still a pucker in the corner. At least I am heading in the right direction. Now that I have an incentive, I will keep at it every day until I am happy with the results. Hopefully, that won't be a long time.
Have a wonderful quilty weekend.