Friday, April 29, 2011

A little cutting, a little sewing


I wanted to get the whole block put together today, but I only got half done.  I am having so much fun with this.  I have only had to use my seam ripper twice, so far.  That is a record for me on foundation piecing.  I think I am getting the hang of this.  One of the things going for me in this one is using batiks.  Both sides of the fabric are the right sides.  Maybe I will get the rest of this done tomorrow.  My big plan for now is to do a halo of flying geese about an inch outside the compass.  Hokule'a is coming along. 


I have read so much about EQ7, a way to design quilts on your computer.  I am impressed with what this program can do, but I remain a pencil and paper kind of designer.  I started out using graph paper and a ruler to make everything pretty.  Then I ran out of graph paper, and had an idea I just had to sketch out.  I used ordinary lined paper.  Then I started using any old piece of paper I could find.  I was taking care of Bella on Tuesday when I started thinking about what I wanted to do with the red, black, and white fabric.  This is the sketch I did on a stray piece of paper I found in my bag.  What do you do your designing on?




I did get all the fabric cut and ready to start sewing the blocks together.  Instead of buying more white fabric, I pulled what little I had from my stash.  I also purchased more black on white.  The more I work with these fabrics, the more I like the colors together.  My goal for this quilt is to show off the fabric and the colors together.

2 comments:

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Love what you are doing with the foundation piecing. I can't seem to get the hang of that and I even took a class. As for you question about what I do my designing on? I have happy yellow paper~! I have it scattered everywhere. :>)

Rhonda the Rambler said...

I can't wait to see your drawing become fabric pieces. I did buy some more fabric today. I have company in from out of town this weekend but was able to convince them to stop at a fabric store. The other store won't reopen until Tuesday. I need some white & turquoise. Then I am off & running. In the meantime company is here till Monday, then a podcast to record (and hopefully post). So much to do!!