Friday, March 11, 2011
My first convergence quilt
No. This is not it. This is a project I started doing with pieced curves. When I finally started hand sewing the curves, I decided to scrap the original project, and see what would happen if I sliced this up, rearranged it, sewed and sliced some more, adding more fabric here and there. This is the result.
Then, I got out my new Ricky Tims' book on convergence quilts. I have wanted to do this for a long time. I cannot afford any of the great hand-dyed fabric out there that is really perfect for this project, so I went through my stash to see what I could find that I could make work. I found some fat quarters of African fabric that I have been collecting, and selected four for this project.
I followed the directions for the harmonic convergence. I wanted the patterns of the fabrics to keep their strength in the finished piece, so I placed the first pieces carefully. After cutting, sewing, turning, cutting, and sewing again, this is what I created.
I really liked it, but wanted to add just the right borders. I selected bright orange for the small containment border and a gold on black pattern that mimics one of the patterns in the African fabric. Once, I put it all together, I was really pleased. I am calling it Tanzanian Tango. I love this process and will be doing more of these quilts.
To see some of Ricky Tims' convergence quilts, take a look at his web site.