Thursday, May 19, 2011

Progress on the baby quilt - Rasberry Lemonade


Today, I got all the blocks pieced, the hearts stitched, and the top put together for the commission due on Saturday.  I sewed the borders on, cut the backing and sewed a strip of the medium pink up the middle, cut the backing, and put everything on the frame ready to quilt first thing tomorrow. 


I was very pleased with my fabric calculations for this quilt.  We bought just the right amount of fabric, and that is always nice.  No extra trips to the fabric store.   That is really good since I bought the last on the bolt of one of the fabrics.  I was pretty organized for this quilt.  I cut all the shapes I needed before I got started on the sewing.  Then, I sewed all the smaller units, like the flying geese and the center blocks.  This may seem like a no brainer to most of you, but it is a new practice for me since I do so much without patterns, just asking myself "what if I . . .?"  I am getting more comfortable making quilts with repeat blocks so I can now use chain stitching to its fullest extent.  What used to take me way too much time is now taking a reasonable amount of time.  I am still a slow stitcher, but I find the process so enjoyable, I don't feel a need to speed it up completely.  Even the process of putting the quilt on the frame went smoothly today.  The good thing about all this is that I will get the quilt done on time.  I will have plenty of time tomorrow afternoon and evening to stitch down the binding by hand and put the label in its proper place.  I will post a photo tomorrow when it is all finished.  I plan on using the darkest pink for the binding. 
In other news, look what arrived at my doorstep today!

 


Green Fairy Quilts had a sale on the fat eighth bundle of Perennial by Kansas Troubles for Moda.  I really like the Kansas Trouble Quilters designs, so I spent some of the money I am making with the commission quilt on these yummy fabrics.  I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet, but I have some ideas.  Right now, I am just going to enjoy petting them and enjoying all the great colors.

3 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, Miki, it's beautiful! That's going to be one lucky baby!!

Impera Magna said...

The Raspberry Lemonade quilt is so bright and cheerful... and you're doing a great job getting is done by tomorrow! Your client is going to be thrilled as will the mom-to-be!

I love when fabric arrives in the mail... and love those that arrived at your doorstep yesterday!

Karen said...

Another outstanding job on the baby quilt. I am sure the mom-to-be will be excited. I love Kansas Trouble fabrics. I look forward to seeing what you make.