Friday, April 6, 2012

Hokule'a finished at last


I finished quilting and binding Hokule'a in time to hand deliver it to my sister-in-law in Northern Virginia.  This photo was taken indoors, in natural light from the skylights, so it looks a little faded.  This quilt is made primarily from shirts and dresses of mine and Tom's from our time living in Hawaii.
I quilted it with an over all irregular loop pattern to symbolize the tosses and turns life can take you on.  The center mariner's compass star symbolizes the guiding star, Hokule'a in Hawaiian navigation.  The outer log cabins are the symbol for home, with the red center standing for home and hearth.  The friendship stars are for all the wonderful friends and guides who help you along the way.  As I was making this quilt, I was mindful of not creating any closed off areas, leaving paths through each border.  It was a joy to make this quilt, and I am pleased that Willa likes it.


The back is a piece of Hawaiian shirt weight bark cloth that I bought in Hawaii, intending to make Tom a cover for his yoga mat.  The red is from a piece of fabric given to me by a friend.
Later today, I will post about our trip to Annapolis and the Eastern Shore in search of more fabric and good seafood.
Until then, joyful quilting everyone.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I can see why Willa likes it because it is beautiful.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

WOW!!! What a special quilt!

Nifty Quilts said...

Miki, It's beautiful. I'm sure your sister will treasure your gift.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a special quilt/gift! This is truly a treasure.

Cathy said...

Miki it is beautiful. Bravo. Hugs