Monday, March 5, 2012

More play

I decided to quilt the mini I showed you Saturday.  I also wanted to do some thread drawing.  I started with the moth in the center using a Superior King Tut variegated thread I love.  You can see all the colors in the thread in the meandering on the light border here.

I drew these moths with water soluble pen before quilting them.  It was fun to put these little guys in each corner.

Here is the finished piece, binding and all.  I quilted the turquoise border with a deep wave line all around, and the leaf border with another meander.  As you can see, I put petals in the light triangles.  I wish they were a little more uniform, but that will come with more practice.  I now have it hanging with some of my other minis.

All these blocks came from my Stash Bee Hive 2 partners.  I still have one coming that I know of.  I am going to add more yellow, indigo, orange, and violet to make the quilt larger.  It has been so much fun to see all the incredible fabrics people have in their stashes.  This is the first time I have been Queen Bee and I really enjoyed it.  I get to do it again in August with another bee I belong to.  Whoohoo!
I am fighting a cold today, so I am not sure how much quilting I will get done.  I may hunker down with a good book, under a cozy quilt.  We shall see.  Yesterday, I made my plane reservations for a ten day trip to the Washington, DC area for the first week in April.  I haven't been back to visit Willa for a long time, and I am very excited about going, even thought Tom will be here minding the home front.  It will be great fun to explore more things quilty.
Have a fabulous week, and I will be back Friday.
Joyful quilting, everyone.

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love your new little piece. It is fun to play with varigeted thread. I haven't tried the King Tut - really need to.Thank you for sharing.

Venus de Hilo said...

Lovely quilting on the moth mini! King Tut are great variegated threads... I've been using KT "Cleopatra" recently, super bright and colorful and fun!

Sarah Craig said...

How did I miss this post? I love your mini- so pretty! Now that I have a big stash of different colored threads, I may try some thread painting myself. And your Bee quilt is amazing!!!!