Monday, October 24, 2011

One block to show


I spent quite a lot of time getting a couple of quilts ready to go on the frame.  They had been stored for a while, and picked up tons of threads and other garbage.  I am a bit anal about hanging threads, so they had to all be clipped or removed.  Then I spent time making more fabric for the BOMs.  Neither of these things was photo worthy.  This is the only block I got put together today.    Hopefully, I will get a JL block or two made tomorrow morning before I have to pick Bella up from pre-school.  That would be nice.
I have been thinking about quilting lately.  Not piecing, but actually quilting.  I have been trying to convince myself that I have to learn how to do fancy quilting if I really want to call myself a quilter. I even started practicing every day for a week.  I finally figured out that it is just not my thing. I would much rather spend time playing with fabrics.  I really enjoy seeing a well quilted piece.  I have a deep admiration for those who enjoy doing this.  That being said, I finally realized that I am really all about the fabric and color and what patterns I can create with them.  I have also realized that is okay.  My quilts are going to continue to have simple quilting unless I win the lottery and can afford to have someone who enjoys quilting do that part of it.
Now it is your turn.  Do you prefer a quilt where it is the quilting that shines, or one where the fabric is the star?  Isn't it wonderful that this art form can be so rewarding for all of us.
Joyful quilting, everyone.  I will be back on Friday.

7 comments:

Maree said...

I love a well quilted quilt but am also reluctant to start doing this myself - so at the moment am just sticking mainly to straight lines. I have been trying to do a little more on my mini quilts for practice but even that hasn't been too fancy. I would much rather spend my time creating rather than finishing so mine will continue to have simple quilting in the meantime.
I have put my BOM quilt together and bought some backing fabric today - am really pleased with how it is turning out.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

While I am totally in awe of some of the beautiful quilting I've seen out there in blogland and elsewhere, I am a simple quilter. It's who I am. My focus is on the fabric, too.

Sarah Craig said...

I love both - but unfortunately only have time to do simple quilting most of the time! But someday.... I hope to have a real long arm and want to play with some beautiful quilting. I think that's probably where my strengths will lie, as I am totally in awe of your mad color and creative skills!!! I'm a copier, not a creator!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I'm still on the fence if I like machine quilting...I sort of hate doing it... But if I do, I am finding I prefer it to add to the quilt design. Usually it's above my level...so I send it out and have someone else do ti for me! LOL! it has to be pretty special for me to take interest in doing it myself.

sheila 77 said...

What an interesting question. When I have finished a piece I often don't want to "spoil" the design with hand or machine stitching, but sometimes at quilt shows, quilts without much quilting can look a bit unfinished and baggy. Not sure what the answer is apart from getting someone to quilt it for you. I'm with you in that I agree that the design, fabrics and colours are most interesting. I like what you are doing with the palette design. Great story about the quilt shop.

Selfsewn said...

Hello!

I think I prefer the fabric to be the star of a quilt, but maybe thats because I'm not the best quilter (YET!)

Clare xx

Snoodles said...

I guess I am not comfortable with machine stitching on a quilt yet, although I can sit and stare at a gorgeous quilt with exquisite motifs for the longest time and admire it all. On my pieces, tho, it's a very simple hand-quilting. Sorry I've been away...catching up on my visiting this evening! Lovely JL blocks - love the secondary patterns in your other post.