Saturday, September 3, 2011

The corduroy challenge

Remember this piece of wide waled corduroy I got at the last Rebels meeting?


Well, I have been looking at it for over a week now, wondering what I would do with it.  During the week, I pulled random fabrics to set around it looking for something wonderful to go with it.  I found an old thrift shop red chambray shirt and some bright golden batik in my stash that looked pretty good.  Yesterday, I went to a neighbors yard sale and found a couple pairs of corduroy pants I thought might work.  Today, I started laying out, cutting, moving around, and finally stitching.  Finally, I came up with this pillow top.



The biggest challenge turned out to be an unpleasant experience with melting fabric.  Originally, I wanted to use a piece of teal narrow wale corduroy where the light blue is.  It was such a beautiful color.  It was pretty heavy, and I suspected it was upholstery fabric.  I sewed a seam between it and a piece of the red and when I went to press it, the teal melted.  It was a very nasty mess.  I have never seen anything like it before.  Fortunately, I got the iron cleaned.  The board cover is in trouble, though, and I may have to replace it, finally.  Good thing I have a Joann coupon.
I also made another whirling hexagon.  I used the opposite triangles as the spacing pieces to see what it would look like.  They give it an interesting look, I think.


I am really liking this pattern.  It is so quick and easy.  Each block is 13" by 12" finished.  I think I will make Tomorrow is another quilty day.
Joyful quilting, everyone.

2 comments:

Sarah Craig said...

I like your corduroy piece -very interesting and unique! And the little whirligigs are very cool!!

Impera Magna said...

Love your cool pillow cover! Too bad about the teal fabric... glad you got your iron cleaned!