Sunday, April 17, 2011

Needle turn applique - what was I thinking?


Several years ago, when we were living in Hawaii, I was smitten by the Hawaiian quilts that I saw throughout the islands.  I was totally intrigued by the designs and the amazing work involved.  There are so many shops that sell small pseudo Hawaiian quilts that are made in China.  Tourists eat these up because they are really beautiful and they are affordable.  I was given one of these pieces, and I like it for what it is, but I know it is not the real thing.  Since I could never afford a locally made treasure, I decided I could try to make a small one, just to have the experience.  I started this so long ago, I forget the name of the pattern.  I do remember that I folded the fabric into quarters, then diagonally to create a triangle.  I carefully made my cuts.  Then, I opened the cut piece, laid it out on the background fabric, and basted it in the traditional way, starting in the center and going out and around each stem, flower, and leaf.  Then, I started my needle turn applique.  This was almost my downfall.   I say almost because I soon realized that I was in over my head and put this project away for the future.  The future arrived about a month ago when I put it on my UFO list at guild.  Today, I finished my last applique stitch.  Woohoo!  Now, I have to figure out what next.  This piece is about 30" square.  I do know that I am going to hand quilt it in the traditional style, echoing the pattern.  I was in such a hurry to post this, I didn't even take time to press it.


Will you look at that!  Blue sky.  The ferry was coming from Seattle, and I couldn't resist the photo.  Of course, within five minutes, black clouds rolled in, the wind whipped up, and the rain came down.  You have to love the Pacific Northwest.
I probably won't be posting for a few days since I will be really busy.  I will be back in the studio on Friday.
Joyful quilting, my friends.

7 comments:

Jann Gougeon said...

Love this, Miki! I really like flat, symmetrical designs like this. I'm good . .
lots of work re-organizing my studio . . so less painting.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your Hawaiian quilt block is wonderful!! They look really hard to do, I'm impressed! Those blue skies look lovely!! I hope your busy days are the fun kind of busy.

Kristen said...

Nice, it looks beautiful!!! Those curves are difficult so congrats for finishing!

Brita said...

Beautiful Hawaiian applique! congrats on getting it done. Pretty picture, too! Whoop Whoop!

Aunt Spicy said...

Its beautiful! I would put it as the center of a Euro Sham pillow, or the center of a quilt. Gorgeous!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great work. Now you will have a beautiful wall hanging.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Wonderful needle turn appliqué. I have never done that and am always awed by folks that have the patience to stick with a project like that. Congrats to you. Enjoying your northwest photos also.