Thursday, April 7, 2011

Guess what I made?

WhooHoo!  Look what I found in the scrap basket!  This 4" x 6" scrap got me to thinking.  What if I pulled some colors to go with this and started playing?





First I found these purples and blues.  Just perfect.









Then these.  There are some end cuts from the Bali pops and some hand died turquoise.








More extras from another border.  I just love this fabric.









Wow!  Orange!  This will be perfect!









These are going to make a really cool block.  What should I do first?  Where should I start.  I know, what about flying geese?









I have wanted to try my hand at curved flying geese for a while.  I grabbed some paper and drew some curved lines.  Then I made random cross lines and connected them for a paper piecing foundation.  I found some left-over hand dyed green for sky and started grabbing scraps and sewing.




Then I needed to make some fabric to sew the geese into.  I love this part.  All the colors and patterns are so fun.  Finding places where each piece fits is a challenge.  This is at the stage where I needed to start adding pieces for size.  I wanted this to be 12" x 12".





Voila!  I am thinking the orange strip is calling for some hand embroidery.  I am not sure what it will be yet, but it will come to me.  It is so much fun to go back and forth between more traditional block styles and this more abstract style.
Joyous quilting, everyone.

6 comments:

ZenDotStudio said...

I love this. It has a real "Asian" feeling to me. Probably based on that lovely umbrella fabric you started with. And it's asymmetrical quality. It feels happy! And it feels like it has movement. I like the orange stalk, makes me think of bamboo.

Sarah Craig said...

Miki, this is AMAZING!! The colors are fantastic, and that orange stalk really gives it depth - it appears to be "framing" the view. Whoop whoop!!

greelyrita said...

I love this too!! Planned unplannedness. Whoop! Whoop!

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love that umbrella fabric, I've got some in my stash. I love what you've done with it. So much fun and movement! Stunning!

Christie describeHappy said...

I'm finding you from Chasing Cottons design post... your organic designing here is fantastic!! I really appreciate seeing how you pulled together the colors and let the fabric do the rest. Bravo!!

Katie said...

Hi I'm coming from the chasing cottons... I think the organic design process was a huge success - it looks fantastic! What will you turn it into? :)