Saturday, January 15, 2011

Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative quilt


This is my first quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative. I first discovered this program on The Quilt Show blog. I really like that there are so many charitable opportunities for quilters. I am currently involved in four. I have mentioned the American Hero Quilt project, my quild's preemie quilts for babies in a local NICU (neonatal intensive care unit), and making blocks for a cancer patient's quilt. This quilt is 9" by 12". The quilts for this project can be no bigger. They have to fit in a priority mailer from the post office. These small quilts are auctioned to raise funding for Alzheimer's research. I think it is a fantastic idea. There are art quilts as well as more traditional style quilts. Check it out and see if there are any treasures calling your name.


I also completed four more blocks for the disappearing nine patch. The other thing I got done this morning was to wash and iron all the new fabric I purchased at my going out of business quilt shop, Pieces, in Renton. When I went in, I knew I wanted fabric to back my American hero quilt, when I get it done. I also looked for lights, Asian prints, brights, and some African prints. Some of these were to fill holes in my stash (lights), and others just needed to come home with me. Quilting is certainly an expensive art. If not for the generosity of a friend who decided to give me her large stash when she quit quilting, I would not be able to do any of the things I am now doing. I have been building my stash for a couple of years, little by little.

I have now completed six quilts, including the alzheimer's quilt. I am going to add my goal list for 2011 in the sidebar. I need to put it somewhere to remind myself not to keep adding more without finishing what is already on my list. I also have to figure out how to make quilt labels, and a good way to name my quilts. <>

No comments: